The weather has been so nice the past few days Ruby decided it was time to get out her super cute, sleeveless, lacy top. We had to have a long talk about modesty and how nice weather does not equal flaunting our bodies. She didn't really get the picture.

Alright, I'm kidding about having talks with Ruby. She obviously wears whatever I force her into, but I was thinking about the change in weather and how it brings a change in clothing too. It's one of the things I like about Minnesota; every year it feels so good to pack away the sweaters and pull out the light, airy shirts and capris. The hard part, though, is that so many of the current styles are not up to the standards of modesty I am trying to dress by. Sometimes it's really hard to find cute things to wear. When I go into a store it seems all of the stylish, patterned, fun shirts are sleeveless and I get stuck with one of the solid colored Tees or having to buy a sweater for coverage. A solid Tee is alright sometimes, but really, who wants to wear that everyday? The sweater is good for a while, until it gets too hot to wear an extra layer. It often takes a lot of work to try and find good, modest things to wear. Do you have any tips, secrets, or favorite places you like to shop for modest clothing?
Alright, I'm kidding about having talks with Ruby. She obviously wears whatever I force her into, but I was thinking about the change in weather and how it brings a change in clothing too. It's one of the things I like about Minnesota; every year it feels so good to pack away the sweaters and pull out the light, airy shirts and capris. The hard part, though, is that so many of the current styles are not up to the standards of modesty I am trying to dress by. Sometimes it's really hard to find cute things to wear. When I go into a store it seems all of the stylish, patterned, fun shirts are sleeveless and I get stuck with one of the solid colored Tees or having to buy a sweater for coverage. A solid Tee is alright sometimes, but really, who wants to wear that everyday? The sweater is good for a while, until it gets too hot to wear an extra layer. It often takes a lot of work to try and find good, modest things to wear. Do you have any tips, secrets, or favorite places you like to shop for modest clothing?

6 comments:
I agree it can be difficult, but I find that if I'm always keeping my eyes out for things I can usually find something. In some ways it makes it easier because I can walk into a store and automatically bypass the sleeveless tops and mini skirts to the section that has more appropriate things. I tend to get overwhelmed if I have too many fabulous choices, plus I spend way too much. I can go into pretty much any store and find at least one thing that will work. Luckily the shirts are longer and cap sleeves are in, plus capris and the longer shorts are still in style...thank goodness. One of my favorite spring/summer items is the maxi dress. Sure they're spaghetti strap, but if you layer a cute cap sleeve T under it, it works. They are so comfy. In fact I'm wearing the one I bought last summer even though I'm 7 months preggers! As far as favorite stores go I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE, H and M. It's at the MOA. They are known to have really trendy items at a very reasonable price. If you ever need a shopping partner I'm always game! Sorry this post is so long...what can I say I love clothes! :)
I have some favorite stores that I'll just pick up a shirt or two from and then try another store...Maurices, Target, Kohls, Old navy but by any means I can't get my whole summer wardrobe at just one of those stores!!
I also do a lot of my shopping when I go back to Utah, modest clothes are of course eaiser to find there!!
I second all of the stores Shantel said, but especially Maurices. Cute stuff, and they always have awesome clearance racks. When you are only paying $5-$7 for a piece it's OK (in my opinion) if you only wear it for one season.
Also check out these websites:
shabbyapple.com
christa-taylor.com
I have yet to order from them but I have a friend who loves them. I keep making myself a deal that if I lose five pounds I get to buy one of their dresses. Hahaha, hence my not ever have shopped there! A little on the pricey side, but if you are looking for one really great dress....
good idea for a post! I'll be checking back to see what everyone says!
I kind of have given up on dressing cute. I guess I threw my hands up when we lived in Vegas and so many people walked around showing wayyyyyyy too much skin! I usually see something cute on Shantel and Andie and say where did you get that and then go look for the deals. I think you already have a super cute wardrobe!
I probably shouldn't even post a comment on this one. But, as you already know, I'm not fond of shopping (especially for clothes) and I can't stand taking time fixing hair that never cooperates with me. My idea of the perfect world is to have EVERYONE bald and naked!! How's that for modesty?!
I'm the last one to know where to shop, as I'm completely behind the times. I feel your pain, though. And, we (Kathryn and I) love your dog and the outfit!
Post a Comment