Tuesday, January 25, 2011

woe is he


Tonight I write of the blights facing my good husband. He's frustrated, and I feel his pain, but I can only offer my sympathies so many times. What do you do when you're fed up with your job? You feel like an ant, crawling around mostly unnoticed until, bam! Someone comes along and stomps on you.

This is how Travis has been feeling for a while now. He feels unappreciated and like his skills aren't being put to good use. He's put up with months and months of people telling him to deal with it. Saying he should feel lucky to have a job (which he we are, don't get me wrong). But, how long do you have to suffer through it until enough is enough?

He'd like to hear what you think about the matter, if you please.

p.s. he asked that if all you have to say is "suck it up" he'd rather not have to read your comment  Smiley Icons

4 comments:

Tawnya said...

Wow, that is a tough one. All I can say is I know what it is like to have to work somewhere that you just work because it is a pay check. I also know what it is like to do something you love. Let's face it, we have to work so you might as well find something that you feel good waking up do everyday. I can't say that you should or shouldn't quit your job. But what I can say is there is no greater feeling than waking up every morning feeling good about what you do.

You also have an adorable little boy and wife that you need to provide for. I say take it to the Lord. Figure out what you to do and take it to the Lord. Whatever you decide, be confident in it and go for it.

Never forget that I love you guys!

Andie said...

Hi guys,

Ryan was in a very similar boat for a year or two. I agree with your sis-in-law, take it to the Lord and go with your gut. You guys will be blessed because you are (and have always been) trying to do the right thing for your family.

Ryan took a good year to find a new job. He looked, interviewed, and did a lot of research. He definitely wanted to be at a new job for the long haul and didn't want to trade one set of problems for another. Eventually the right job came available and it has been a huge blessing to our family. The beauty of being employed at the moment vs. unemployed is that you don't have to do anything immediately, and you still are able to support your family while looking for something that is a better fit for your skills.

I know it was kind of a nerve-racking thing for Ryan and I felt a little helpless sitting by and watching it all. But my advice is to pray, pray, pray about the right thing to do. Heavenly Father has an interest in your family and will help you know what to do!

Also, Travis, feel free to email Ryan or give him a call if you want to chat. He's also somewhat of a resume guru and I know he'd take a look at yours if you wanted him to.

Best of luck!

Jes and Kurt said...

Kurt was in a similar situation, under appreiated, under payed and working way to much. I agree with Andie and Ryan that there is an advantage to having a job while you look for a new one. Kurt was looking for a new job for over a year before he found his current job (just started 2 weeks ago). He didn't want to take just any job otherwise things wouldn't be different. He waited, looked and prayed till he found the job he really wanted. It might take a while but it will be worth it, do something you love. Also you might want to look at getting a head hunter ( a professional job hunter) depending on what you want to do it might be free. Kurt had one to find his first job, thay can find things you can't sometimes, just a thought. Good luck!

Fran said...

No advise from me because my ways are the "old" ways and I'm a firm believer in life is really tough! Just know that you are loved so much and I'm proud of all you do. Your family is wonderful and in the end, that's what matters most. I know you will figure it all out!!