Thursday, August 11, 2011

homegrown

I like the idea of spinach but every time I buy it it usually goes to waste. I just never really feel in the mood for it. I planted spinach last year in my garden and never cut it. It just never really looked right. This year I decided to give it one more try and it turns out I'm really glad I did.

Once it came in and got some mature leaves on the plant it ended up being that I had some to cut about every ten days. For my usage rate, that turned out to be perfect. I really surprised myself with all the things I used it for and I think it was because I could go and get as much as I wanted without the guilt of the rest of the bag going bad before I wanted to use it again.

I used it in lasagna, smoothies, on sandwiches, and mixed in with lettuce salad, among other things. It felt good to know that we were getting all the extra nutrients spinach provides over lettuce and the fact that it was fresh out of my garden felt even better. I'll definitely plant it again next year.

4 comments:

shantel said...

I miss my garden!!

Fran said...

I just found out at my meeting in St. Cloud that iceberg lettuce isn't very good for you... eating spinach leaves is much better. I just can't win!!

Tawnya said...

I wish I could get that stuff to grow :(

Audrey said...

I love green smoothies!