Friday, September 2, 2011

nice lady, happy boy

Ethan and I pulled up to the license center the other day and there was an ambulance outside. At first I was concerned that there was a problem inside. Either way, Ethan was excited to see a big truck and started blowing kisses to it as we walked up. Once we got inside it turned out that the paramedic was just doing some business of her own. When we finished and walked out the door Ethan wanted to stop and look at the truck for a minute. As we were looking the paramedic came out of the license center and smiled. I mentioned that Ethan was fascinated by her truck and she asked him if he wanted to see inside.

I couldn't believe how nice she was and Ethan loved looking around and talking to her about all the stuff he saw. She commented on how brave he was and how most kids are scared or nervous about ambulances. Although I think he may be too young to understand what they're for I was proud that he was friendly enough to go in and talk to her. He really loves to learn and explore new things.

She showed him some of her machines and let him push some of the buttons. When we were just about finished she grabbed a teddy bear out of the cupboard and asked him if he'd like to have it. He was so excited he started hugging and kissing it. He didn't put it down for hours. He even insisted on bringing it into the gym with us.

It was a really great experience for Ethan and I was filled with  warm, fuzzy feelings all afternoon over how nice the paramedic was. It really meant a lot to me that she was willing to take ten minutes out of her day to make a little boy's day.

----------
side note: This happened on Tuesday and every day since then whenever Ethan comes across that bear he picks it up and says "Truck." I was a little shocked that he remembered this experience three days later and still makes the connection between the bear and the ambulance, but it just goes to show how much she really did make his day.


3 comments:

Audrey said...

having a baby has turned me into a softie because I find this absolutly adorable!

Fran said...

I'm sure Ethan made her day too! What a wonderful lucky meeting of the two. I'm quite surprised you were able to get Ethan out of the ambulance when he had so many new buttons and gadgets to touch! He's a sweetheart. And you are a great mom for taking the time to stop and let him explore.

Tawnya said...

Wow! That is impressive. He is one lucky little guy. I think the paramedic it super lucky to have adorable baby E on her truck.