Tuesday, January 31, 2012

dawn breaking


Last week wasn't a great week for me. It was long and hard and I was at my wits end by Friday night. To start the week off, Travis sold his Truck. We've had it up for sale for a while, knowing that having three cars just wasn't really conventional or economical, but I think we were both secretly hoping it wouldn't sell. It's funny that a vehicle could feel like a part of you, but that Truck really was a significant part of our life. It was sad to see it go. Hopefully we'll be blessed for trying to manage our finances a little better.

A day or so after that I found out that my Grandpa had passed away in his sleep the night before. It was totally unexpected and kind of a shock. I'm happy that he was able to go peacefully, but feel a lot of sadness for my Grandma who now has to adjust to a life without him. I've been sensitive to loneliness after having spent a year alone while Travis was in Iraq. Ever since then my heart aches for those who have to be apart from the love of their life. I know she's a strong lady and they will be together again someday, but it's always hard to loose someone you love.

Then, to top it all off, Ethan's internal alarm clock somehow got switched from 8am to 5:30am and I just don't know what to do. Seeing the sunrise is nice once or twice, but really, I don't want to make a habit of it. I know that lots of children get up early in the morning, but the problem is that I know he's not getting enough sleep. He's throwing tantrums and having breakdowns by 10 am. He takes naps in the afternoon but honestly neither him nor I can make it past lunch at this rate.

So, do any of you have any suggestions? I'm not sure if I should try and get him to go back to sleep, or if this is just a phase that will pass, or if its a new reality I'm going to have to live with (which I really hope isn't the case). Its hard to know your child isn't getting what they need and there's no way you can give it to them.

6 comments:

Tawnya said...

Oh boy, what a week for the Bator Jr. Household. I know I am not a mom and have never tried this but maybe try keeping the little guy up later. Good Luck:)

shantel said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa Nicole.

Most mornings Mason wakes up in between 5 and 7.. I always get him out of his crib and plop him down with me he almost ALWAYS goes back to sleep after doing so.

Good luck... 5:30 is waaay to early!!

Fran said...

Even though sunrises are absolutely beautiful, I like sunsets much better! My lake home will need to be on the east side of the lake so I can look west and enjoy the sunsets.
Parenting is one big blurr to me now, but my children were never on any set schedule, so they pretty much slept when they needed to. It's very hard on mom when changes like that happen because then your schedule changes too. I'm sure it will work its way out. Hang in there!

Andie said...

It might seem counterintuitive, but maybe you could try putting him to bed a little earlier? Our experience was always, "sleep begets more sleep". When our kids didn't sleep well or enough, it was a vicious cycle, ie: if they missed their morning nap they refused to take one in the afternoon because they were so keyed up! Makes no sense to me...I WISH I could take a nap whenever I'm tired and would happily do so if given the chance...but with kids, not so much.

Good luck!!

Larry said...

I actually read this post when you wrote it but never commented. However, the last few days I have been thinking about it a lot. I agree with Andie. We found that sometimes putting the kids to bed earlier resulted in a later morning. After a few days their schedule returned to normal. Also just a thought would be to change his nap time and make it a little earlier. My little boy that is Ethan's age wakes up at seven and takes a nap around eleven. Then he goes to bed between seven thirty and eight. So maybe an earlier nap time would help. The last idea I had was maybe cutting his nap short but this is my least favorite because naps help me get through the day. With three kids three and under and one on the way I need the best naps I can get. I hope that when you read this there is no need for it :) -Nancy

Anonymous said...

I agree with Andie and Larry. Sound Advice, and all I could think of for ya. But I do notice when Chloe is up late it equals an early morning for me, blah. :) Good luck. I'm not a morning person when it comes to 530 either.