Wednesday, February 19, 2014

analysis paralysis


Travis informed me today that I have analysis paralysis. I am so caught up in thinking through things that I can't make a decision or move forward. I analyze until I'm so confused that it starts to affect my day to day living. 

Take these cupcakes for example. They're so pretty. And they all have a different flavor of cream cheese frosting (heaven). If you told me I could pick one and eat it it would tourture me. I'd think about it for way longer than anyone really should. When I finally made a decision and ate the pretty purple on in the back I'd instantly feel regret that I didn't choose the strawberry one (cause I really love strawberry...)

I could name a hundred other things that go on in my day to day life that I just can't get past. I have thought about them to the point of debilitating myself. Here's a recent one: We're down to our last book of checks. No big deal, right? For me-big deal. See, Travis and I would like to move sometime this year. I don't want to use up all my checks for this address and then have to order more when I'm going to have a new address in the near future. That would be a total waste. So, unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary, I have convinced myself that I cannot write a check. 

No, I don't know if we're actually going to move. I have no idea if plans of moving will ever work out. But I want them to, and that's enough to convince me that I have to use my checks sparingly. I know, I need to stop. But there are so many things I want in life, and way too many things out of my control. Analyzing things is the only control I have left. I need some serious help here.

4 comments:

Tawnya said...

When in doubt, eat all of the cupcakes. Those look amazing. And I totally get what you are saying about the checks. Good Luck! I hate making decisions, as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you Nicole. I think you are a minimalist, which is a good thing, and that puts kinks in your hose of life, but when it all comes down to it, you're still getting water out. I think you are doing great. There's nothing wrong with eating two cupcakes.

memories by Jan said...

You have a brilliant mind and you use it. Being analytical is a strength you are learning to temper with maturity and experience. Good for you! My unsolicited advice for the things out of your control. Let go and let God.

Dawn said...

I'm with Tawnya! Eat them all.