Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday Already?

Well folks here we are again. We have had no major incidents and all is running smooth. Yesterday I got to watch an individual from another branch of service get pushed over by a very small Iraqi and then spit on. Humorous because he didn't expect it to happen, but if it had been a Marine the man would have been hit several times because of his actions. It has rained here since my last e-mail and I am enjoying the environment a little more now than before. It has been getting down to the mid-eighties at night and, strange as it may seem, I find myself wearing a sweater because it's cold. I think the Minnesota winter might be a little tough for me when I get back but we shall see. Everybody on our base is in the process of switching out with their replacements except for us, which makes for a good time and hopefully it will get these next few months to fly by a little faster. I have mailed my footlocker home and you would not believe the rate I got to mail it. It was 69 pounds and only cost me 38 dollars to get from here to my house--crazy how it is so cheap to mail things out of this country. I am currently taking a Corporals course and learning all sorts of leadership traits, tactics, sword manual, and marching manual. We are graded and tested on each category and there are eight of them. I am currently tied for first place out of eighteen and holding strong with a 94.8% proficiency score. We have only been tested on four of the eight categories and one of the categories to come is public speaking and instruction. Since I have no problems talking to large crowds it should be a breeze for me to teach a class to a large number of people. The course should be over by September and we shall find out how I stand then. I appreciate your support and hope you are all continuing to stay safe and have fun.-Travis
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That's weird I posted a comment to this and it isn't showing up? Huh? Can't remember what I said now, that was so long ago. Sounds like your doing great on your tests..keep it up!

Andie said...

Being able to speak in front of large crowds is an added bonus that comes with being a member of the church. Once you've spoken in sacrament you can pretty much handle whatever comes in the way of public speaking.