Monday, August 25, 2008

A productive weekend

This weekend was pretty productive for me. I went up to spend some time with Travis' mom and grandma. While I was there I made Ruby a pillow that she could lay on. I don't let her on the furniture and she likes to have something soft to lay on so I figured I'd make her a pillow that matched my furniture. It's great because it was cheaper than buying a dog bed and I got to customize it however I wanted.

Here we have the before pieces




After we figured out how it should look Fran cut the material and I sewed it all together.




And below we have the finished product. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The cover is removable so I can take it off and wash it. Ruby was skeptical at first but now that we're home she's loving it!




Fran and I also went to St. Cloud and walked around the flower gardens there. It was the first time I have been there and it was really pretty and it couldn't have been a nicer day.
I thought this Hibiscus was fabulous.



They had lots of fountains

This section of the garden was really pretty with all of the fall-like colors.


The pictures don't do it much justice.


I thought this fountain was funny. It has oxen head all around it. It must be the bird baptismal font.



Ok, then the last thing I did this weekend was make my first quilt. Now, it was sort of a quilt for dummies, so it wasn't super hard, but I was my first one and I am not exactly the worlds best at sewing. This one I actually did a little more of the cutting which I think is the hardest part.


Here are the preliminary pieces. It's a boy's baby blanket. All the material has polka dots on it.




I had to iron all the wrinkles out of the material

Then cut and sew all of the pieces together


Then came the border which was pretty tough because the material is soft and slippery so it wouldn't stay in place while I was sewing.


Then last was the back. It turned out really nice.




Then I also made this new blog background for myself, which took quite a while because I couldn't decide what I liked. And that was my productive weekend. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I am really slow at sewing so this all took me a while.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Doesn't seem like a lot?!?! That is amazing! Congratulations on the sewing projects...they look fabulous!

Audrey said...

See, your a good little mormon house wife already:)

Andie said...

I like all of the sewing projects; they turned out great! My mom-in-law is an excellent seamstress/quilter just like your mom-in-law. It's been so nice for me to have a ready made tutor!

Sewing is a useful skill to have. I don't ever use my machine to sew clothes (too much time and not any cheaper in the end) but I've done a lot of curtains, pillows, blankets, etc. That is where you can really save the $$ and you can customize with whatever fabric you want.

Good work, Nicole!

shantel said...

Ohh Nicole thats so cute. Your a good little mommy to your doggy!