-In 2006, Americans drank about 167 bottles of water each but only recycled an average of 23 percent. That leaves 38 billion water bottles in landfills.
-Bottled water costs between $1 and $4 per gallon, and 90 percent of the cost is in the bottle, lid and label.
-It takes over 1.5 million barrels of oil to manufacture a year’s supply of bottled water. That’s enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars.
-8 out of 10 plastic water bottles become landfill waste.
-Plastic bottles can take up to 1000 years before they begin to decompose once buried.
-Bottled water costs between $1 and $4 per gallon, and 90 percent of the cost is in the bottle, lid and label.
-It takes over 1.5 million barrels of oil to manufacture a year’s supply of bottled water. That’s enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars.
-8 out of 10 plastic water bottles become landfill waste.
-Plastic bottles can take up to 1000 years before they begin to decompose once buried.
Here's what I decided: I'll go out and buy a Britta water filtration pitcher and use that to drink from. It's totally reusable and should help with the flavor and purity of my tap water. I love our beautiful planet and really enjoy being outdoors. This small change in my lifestyle will hopefully help make it a cleaner place for all of us.

4 comments:
Okay...I need to do the same! Really...I have already had 5 bottles of water today! I do recycle though...but your right, I could do better! Brita here I come!
Nicole--
I couldn't find your phone number in the ward directory. Can you e-mail me? lindsay.kennedy@yahoo.com
I hear ya on that one! Ever since we have gotten into our new house and have one built right into the refrigerator I drink tons more and use less bottles and cans of pop! It makes a big difference! Good Luck
You are so good! Good stats. I'd hate to see the stats on the aluminum from the pop we drink at my house. I'll drink more water - we have one of those filter thingies attached to the faucet so I do refill my water bottles instead of throwing them away and recycle when it's time to get rid of it. Thanks for the green pep talk!
Post a Comment