Thursday, October 15, 2009

Scaredy cat guard dog

You know how some things just freak you out? Well the woods freak me out. More specifically, the woods at night. I hate that you can't see what's in them and turning on a light casts weird shadows that make them even creepier. Lucky for me I moved into a house surrounded by woods.

I try really hard not to creep myself out, but not all of our windows have curtains on them yet and I just can't help feeling like someone is standing in the edge of the woods watching me. It gives me chills just thinking about it. I think Ruby can sense that I am on edge and so she goes on high alert. It's nice that she has some guard dog instincts, but her barking at every single little creek doesn't do much to calm my nerves. To make matters worse, when she hears something she barks and then comes running to me in panic. It's like she's telling me, "I heard something! Go see what it is!" Heaven forbid she went and checked it out on her own.

This scenario played out last night at 1 am. Ruby barked at who knows what and I woke up, my heart racing. I tried to ignore it and hope she goes back to sleep but she kept barking. So I had to get up and walk her around the house checking things out. All the while I'm hoping this is just a false alarm because I'm walking around half asleep and blind as a bat without my glasses on. Not the best combo.

Luckily, she was just being paranoid (maybe she gets that from me). After we walked around and I told her every thing was ok she went back to sleep. (Great, isn't it, how I have to console my dog?) I, on the other hand, had to lay there for a while until my heart stopped racing and I could stop picturing someone lurking in the woods looking into my windows. This might be a long couple weeks.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

She is a smart cookie, she is just trying to protect her mama while papa is away. I bet she will calm down when he gets back, but then again, she will have a new addition to adjust to. I freak myself out all the time at night when Benjy isn't home. Good thing to know that your in-law's are a hop, skip and a JUMP, away...if you need them.

Fran said...

We have an extra bed for you and Ruby! Please sleep over here whenever you feel like it.