Travis, Ethan and I ran the Gray Ghost 5k today. It started off rocky and I ended up having to run with my purse on the whole time (not fun by the way) but I finished with my usual time of 31 minutes. If there's one thing I can say for myself, it's that I run a very constant 10 minute mile. Maybe some day I'll push myself a little harder, but for the sake of keeping it fun, I just go out there and do what feels good. Travis pushed Ethan in the jogger while Ethan shouted, "Get out of my way!" to the slow pokes in front of him. Not really, but Travis did say he was laughing and jabbering the whole time. I don't think it was quite as fun for Travis trying to push that stroller through the massive crowds, but it was all good in the end.
So, anyway, there are always lots of interesting things to see at the Gray Ghost because people dress up in costume to run but this year I saw something even cooler than the costumes. Running at about the same pace as me was a blind guy being led by a guide runner. The guide runner held a pole out behind his back that the blind man held on to. The entire run the guide was coaching him along letting him know the condition of the street (if there were branches down and stuff) as well as when a turn was coming and if there were people around him. I was amazed. It's hard not to have respect for people who don't let disabilities hold them back. I just can't imagine how much stamina it takes to run a long distance like that without being able to see where you are going or how far you have left. It was pretty cool.
3 comments:
officially a good reason not to get pictures done:)
I was thinking about you guys today and wishing I could have been there. Of course they choose this year to have cute shirts and not a mock turtle neck. Great Job running! I would kill for that time.
What a wonderful tradition to continue with Ethan. Your family picture is adorable too!
Post a Comment