Travis has taken up a new hobby that's consuming all of my time. How is this possible, you ask? Well, he's decided to take dares from people at work to wear ridiculous, over the top outfits. Every few weeks they come up with something new. Then Travis comes home, tells me what the dare is this time, and tells me to see what I can come up with.
Normally I wouldn't complain about having to go shopping, but some of the stuff he's asking for is ridiculously hard to find. The bet this week was to wear a bow tie, short sleeved shirt, vest and pocket watch.
The first words out of my mouth were "You've gotta be kidding me."
150 miles and 6 hours of shopping later I think I came up with a pretty good getup. As it turns out, the pocket watch was the easiest thing to find. The vest was the hardest. Apparently normal vests aren't sold in regular stores. I looked at about every department and or men's store I could think of and none of them had anything other than suit or tuxedo vests. And there was no way I was sending him to work in a silky, paisley-print turquoise vest.
So I gave up on the department stores and decided to hit some vintage clothing stores. I thought I was going to get lucky with the first one I walked into when I saw the perfect wool vest. But then I ran into another road bump: It was nearly impossible to find one that fit his broad chest and long torso. Without him there to try it on I felt like I was throwing darts in the dark. Who knew what was going to fit him. Finally, after the third vintage store I had a few vests that I thought had a fighting chance of fitting him.
When he got home and tried the vests on it was this plaid one that fit. And (of course) he had no pants or bow tie that matched that one. I agreed to run to Kohls after Ethan went to bed and get some pants but said he was out of luck on the bow tie. By that point I was exhausted and (I can't believe I'm saying this) didn't care if I ever stepped foot in another store again.
The best part of this whole ridiculous story is that the motives behind the dares are to get Travis to come to work looking like an idiot. With any other less stubborn dedicated wife he probably would have. After all the work I put into that outfit I beamed with pride when he came home and told me ladies he'd never met were stopping him in the elevator to tell him how good he looked.
What a hunka, hunka burnin' love : )




3 comments:
"Dressed for success!" Great job Nicole... it must be easier to dress Ethan. What will they think of next?
Is there a pay-off for him for doing the dare? They should pay him or something!
You are an excellent stylist Nicole... You make me so proud! I am not going to lie though, I asked him to wear a coat when we were headed to lunch, not that I thought he looked ridiculous, just because I thought we would get jumped by black guys wanting his whole outfit!
Post a Comment