This post is coming a little late, but I guess in this case I have some valid excuses. Last weekend our house got struck by lightening! It was around 9:45pm. We were having a thunderstorm and Travis and I were in our living room when all of the sudden we saw a huge flash of light in the dining room and a boom that sounded like a grenade went off. We were freaked but nothing seemed to have happened...then we started smelling smoke. So Travis started to look around and as he walked down to the basement he said I needed to get down there. This is what we saw...
The wall panels had been totally blown off, the window blown out and a large hold had appeared in the foundation block. Now when I say 'blown' I mean that in a very literal sense. This was seriously an explosion and the debris was all over the basement. We found chunks of concrete block on the other end of the house 40 feet away.
To say we were in shock is putting it lightly. We were floored. As it turns out Travis happened to have this past week off of work and we've spent most of that time trying to get things put back together. There were numerous things including our phone, internet, dryer and air conditioner that no longer worked after the explosion. We've got most things squared away and now we just have to work on repairing the hole in the wall. And, because he's always up for a good challenge Travis is thinking about doing the work himself. So, if you know any masons I'm sure he could use all the advice he can get...
In the end the damage to the house and our stuff was minimal when you take into consideration that I was sitting less than 10 feet away from the location of the explosion (I was just upstairs at the time). It could have been much worse and we could have suffered personal injury from it. For me though, the biggest blessing of all was that Ethan slept through the whole thing : )
4 comments:
SO GLAD YOU ARE OKAY! OH my goodness!!
That is crazy! I still can't believe it. I wish I had E's sleeping skills.
Oh my goodness! Minnesota sure has some freaky thunderstorms! Right after we moved into our house in North Branch, lightning struck the ground in our front yard and blew out an irrigation line (that had just been installed the day before)...And we thought THAT was crazy! I think you've got us beat! ;)
Holy.Cow! That is scary, glad you are all okay!
Post a Comment