
The other day while Ethan napped I had some busy work to do and decided to watch a movie. As I looked through our DVDs I saw that we had Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and thought it might bring back some warm and fuzzy childhood memories so I popped it in and sat down with high hopes.
What I saw in the opening scene kinda surprised and concerned me. Within the first few minutes the two children encounter a complete stranger and are asked what their names are and where they live. After they tell her their info she instructs them to get in her car so she can take them home. And, of course, they get in. Add that to the child catcher luring them into his wagon with candy later in the movie and we've got some serious Amber Alert issues here.
Now I know that this movie was made at a time when children were considered much safer in society, and I get that. But I guess my issue is that since we live in such a scary world, where kids get abducted from their front yards, should I let my kids watch something like this movie, that teaches the opposite of what I'm trying to teach them. It seems like it doesn't matter how much you try and talk to them about things, if they are viewing the exact opposite happening it's likely to obscure their judgement.
So, I ask all of you parents (or anyone with a thought, really) what you think or do with your kids. Do screen things like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang out to make sure they aren't confused or am I just being overly paranoid about the effects this stuff could have?
2 comments:
I don't let my kids eat fast food. So I don't think it's paranoia at all.
Nope, not paranoid. Nolan wasn't allowed to watch "The Fox and the Hound" as a toddler because he started calling his baby sister "you empty headed female" which was a line from the movie. :)
That said, I'm a lot more lenient with the last kid than the first...truly, mostly out of sheer laziness...
Post a Comment