I love Christmas. I'm also a bit of a control freak. Put the two together and you have my idea of a wonderful holiday season. It involves a tree decorated just the way I like it, a child who's regular schedule involves waking up at 8 am, taking a nap at 1 pm and going to bed by 9 pm. It involves having lots of snow and listening to all my favorite Christmas music.
This year I feel a little off kilter. Travis made a 'family decision' to drive out to Pennsylvania to see my parents for the holidays. I like the idea of getting to see them for Christmas, but I'm not really loving the reality of a 20 hour roadtrip with a 2 year old. Add to the fact that I'm deathly afraid of him getting thrown off his (my) coveted schedule and you can see how I feel like I'm loosing control of Christmas. It's so bad I almost didn't get a tree, but in the end Ethan's obsession with 'trissmas trees' won out.
So, to help myself let go of the control issues a little I decided to go on a small-scale rebellion of the thing I love most about Christmas-the tree. For starters, I put colored lights on the tree. This was always an argument in our house growing up-my dad wanted colored lights, my mom wanted white. I personally like the white better and have always used them on my own tree. I also mixed in some of our 'childhood ornaments' which is usually a serious no-no for me.
I think its actually been a little theraputic. I sill like the Christmas tree (although not as much) and it's helping me see that everything doesn't always have to be the same (aka perfect) to be good. Well, except for Ethan's nap time. I seriously think I'll go mad when that stops, so hopefully its not any time soon.
Hopefully our road trip will be better than I expect it to be and in the end I know I'll be really glad that we get to spend this special time with my family. Keep your fingers crossed for me and my sanity.

5 comments:
Wow, how could you turn your nose at a road trip? Some of my best memories come from road trips and driving my parents crazy. Besides being the 'economic team' that we are, its more cost effective.
Enjoy your day-
I have everything crossed for you!! My prediction is Ethan will be better than you anticipate. Of course, it's because you have given so much thought to the trip and will be prepared for it. Have a delightful Christmas all the way around!!
Come to think of it what was I doing driving a conversion van in a snow storm while standing between dad's legs? I must have been five or six, if that airbag would have gone off I would have been toast! Wait a minute I don't think that van had airbags, DAD....
Nic, You are killing me girl. Keep practicing letting go of that controll issue you have. Better for you to best it rather than have a higher power show you who is really in control. And about that Christmas tree... Did you leave it blurry because you can't stand to look at it!!!? You know that is the best looking tree you have ever decorated. BTW, ours is white this year and will probably remain that way till I cross the veil where we will see that all trees are supposed to be colored! Enjoy your trip with your family and let come what may. These are the times that lifelong sweet memories are made of. Love ya Bud.
And pulling over every day of the trip because either a rearlight was to bright when we hit the brakes, or a tire on the camper blew, or the door fell off the van...I miss our road trips. Nicole, you are making great memories, and I bet Ethan will be so bored on the way out there that he'll still take a nap...at the right time, even when you change time zones.
Post a Comment