Thursday, March 8, 2012

from fall to summer


I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the colossal world that is little girl clothes and I've found myself stumped. Not because I can't find anything I like (cause that's even possible...) but because I don't know how to dress a summer baby. What in the world do they wear??

Since Ethan was born in the late fall it was really natural to put him in footie sleepers and wrapped tight in warm blankets. Long sleeved onsies and sweatpants were a staple once the one month mark rolled around. But now I'm about to have a little one in early July and I just can't figure out what to buy for those first few months. Gowns? Long sleeved sleepers? Just a onsie?? Dont even get me started on all the little sun dresses out there that are to die for but don't really seem appropriate for a newborn. Seriously, I'm stumped. And what kind of swaddling blanket do you use for those hot summer months?

So. Have you had a summer baby, or just have some advice in general? Cause I'm totally stumped.

5 comments:

Jes and Kurt said...

Michael was born in early june so I know how you feel. I always left a fan on in his room for air flow so I put him in the light weight footed pj and a light swattle blanket. I always kept him in light wieght clothes so he was covered but not hot. My favorite thing was an outdoor mose basket that has netting over the top so I could take him outside but he could stay in the shade. Hope it helps.

Michael and Lia said...

Nicole - this is Lia (Meagan's sister) I wanted to tell you about some great swaddling blankets for summer. Target sells a version of "aden and anais" brands blankets, they are really light and gauzy and meant for swaddling. I think a 4 pack is $30 but they are very versatile and will wash nicely. Also, kiddopotamus (sp?) makes swaddles in all types of fabrics - I always buy the cotton one because it stretches nicely and works well in the summer. Hope this helps and congrats! Lia

Tawnya said...

Man, I don't have much to offer in this department. I am such a worry wart that I would be freaked about her getting to cold. And then once I put on another layer or two I would be worried I was roasting her. That is why I like being an aunt. Let me know what you need and I will go do some shopping :)

Breezy said...

They say to dress a baby one layer warmer than you dress yourself. Although I have become a HUGE!!!! fan on onsies and babylegs. They make life so much easier and are super cute!

Fran said...

I've been accused of dressing all my children in the worst attire... nothing ever matched, so you probably shouldn't ask for my advise even though I had a summer baby (or two).
Cool and comfy are my only suggestions.