Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nice summer weather...

The summer months have destroyed my good workout habits. I really hate exercising on machines in a gym because it seem so much more tedious and boring. For most of the year I can force myself to go because it's better than being outside freezing, getting soaking wet, being struck by lightening...you get the picture. In my mind I should be able to run, bike & rollerblade outside during the sunny summer months. Well, this doesn't really happen because I also don't like to work out when it's so hot and HUMID. So, What do I do in the summer? Nothing. I can't bring myself to go to the gym because it's nice, and I'm too lazy to wake up early and go before it gets hot. Thank you, "nice" summer weather, for diminishing my desire to work out even more than -10 degree weather does. I guess I just have to accept that working out at the gym may be the only way I can maintain any kind of consistent workout schedule. This may take some time...

7 comments:

Clint said...

Nicole,
I completely agree. I need to decide either to discipline myself to get up early or just accept myself the way I am. I just hate to get up at 5:30 to exercise.

shantel said...

I love to workout outside! I was already thinking about how bad its going to suck to have to run on the crappy treadmill again.I don't mind the heat,but I do hate the humidity.

Andie said...

I say...soak up that Vitamin D while you can!

I feel like a caged animal when I have to go to the gym in the summer.

Anne said...

Nicole, you are hilarious! I know what you mean though. It is nice have kids old enough to leave them for a half an hour so I can run in the morning! I guess bosses are not quite as flexible!

Kristen said...

The only reason I have been going to the gym regularly is so the girls can play and socialize with other children. I even take them swimming at the gym so I can enjoy a good book in the sun! Once your membership runs out,,,, maybe we will see you at lifetime?

Fran said...

At least you have good workout habits to destroy! As you know, I don't do things that make me bounce or sweat. It is difficult to self-motivate, but sometimes the benefits are priceless. There will be plenty of sauna weather this week!

The Miller Family said...

Oooooohh...it seems I may be alone on this one. I love working out at the gym! Don't get me wrong...I adore being outside...I've always loved nature and the joy it can bring. However, I'd rather spend my time outside doing fun things (and I'm still at the point where I workout out of necessity, not because it's a "hey let's go have fun working out" kinda thing). And you're right about the humidity thing...I don't know...for me, that makes it way too unenjoyable.

Anyway, good luck!