Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mmmm...cake!

This week I learned how to make a cake using fondant frosting. It was a pretty big mess and I'm not really used to having my counters that dirty...I'm a little paranoid. It turned out really good and it tasted good too which I was glad about because a lot of hard work went into making it. Thanks for coming over and showing me how it's done Audrey!

The frosting had to be super firm...that's not flour I'm rolling it out on, it's powdered sugar. I couldn't believe how much powdered sugar went into that little ball of frosting. My forearms were burning by the time I was done with that thing.
Once the frosting was firm enough it was colored (see the blue on the cake) and then rolled to cut the designs out of.
Here's the finished product! I thought it turned out really cute. The 'T' stands for Travis...he really likes cake. Sorry you weren't there to taste-test Trav!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Andie said...

I think it is awesome that you are using the time while Travis is away to learn so many new skills. The cake looks great!

Angie said...

Nicole is another Martha Stewart...who knew? :) The cake looks delicious!

Audrey said...

I felt really bad pouring that powdered sugar all over you nice clean counters! I had a LOT of fun though and I'm glad Travis liked it!

Kristen said...

Looks great Nicole. I wish I had the patience to do those really cute and fun things. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Fran said...

The cake was delicious! Thank you for bringing it to us and sharing in the joy!! We finished it today and licked the platter clean.

shantel said...

That turned out really cute.Your learning all sotrs of new stuff.Good for you!

The Seaman Family said...

That looks awesome. Way to go. I would love to learn how to make those cakes they always look so cute.

Anne said...

that is so much fun! So when are you going teach the rest of us. I think Fran needs her kitchen messed up a little!