Sunday, August 31, 2008

An optimistic outlook

I am in a celebratory mood today, the last day of August, 2008. The end of August means another lonely month gone which then means I'm one more month closer to seeing Travis again. I now have only two months left to make it through alone. That seems achievable. Looking back, it's encouraging to know that I've put 10 months behind me. I can't say these past months have been a great time or really even a happy time--but I also can't say that it's been a miserable or sad time, so I think that's something. I also have managed to keep out of a vegetative state, well, unless you count the time I spend on the computer...but anyway. I feel really grateful that the time Travis has been away has passed so quickly for me. I appreciate all of the effort so many people have put forth to help, listen, and talk to me. I know it's simple, and it may not have felt like a burden, but it's lifted a burden off my shoulders and for that I am deeply grateful. I never felt like I had friends before Travis left and now I feel really blessed to think of so many people as friends. I felt like I was losing everything when I found out Travis was leaving. I have really seen the Lord's hand in my life and realized how much I actually had to gain during the past year. I now see why we were inspired to move here when we did. I know I have become a stronger person and have acquired a lot more skills than I would have somewhere else and with other people. I know this comes a few months early and that my time alone isn't quite up, but as I said before, I now feel like it's tolerable. I am past the hardest part and no matter how strong I think I am, I could have never done it alone. One of my greatest hopes going into this deployment was that I would come out of it with something to show for my time. I wanted to be productive and to become a better person so that when Travis and I are together again I can add to our relationship instead of detract. I might not have many physical things to show for this time apart, but I know that I have changed inside and I think that's really what counts. So, I am happy knowing that in the future I'll be able to look back at this hard time in my life and be proud of how I handled myself and what I accomplished. Although I'm still sad that we have had to be apart for so long I now understand that it opened up the door for blessings I may not have received otherwise.

3 comments:

Andie said...

Oh, Nicole, what a great post! I've looked at you from the beginning of Travis' deployment and have been amazed by your strength. I know it's not always been easy, but the way you've handled the situation speaks volumes about your testimony and the kind of person you are. You are such great example to me!

Kristen said...

I know this has been a challenging time for you, but for our family it has been a blessing to get to know you better, too! Benjy and I are grateful to you and to Travis for his service so that we can enjoy our freedom and feel safer. It is a debt that we will never be able to repay!

shantel said...

Nicole you have grown SOOOO much in the short time that Travis has been gone,and I really have enjoyed getting to know you better.You and Travis have both been very strong through this period of time.