I have been thinking today about the events that happened 7 years ago: September 11, 2001. I remember clearly. I was at school, walking into my second hour class, when someone turned on the TV and we all saw the footage of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center. They showed that same clip over and over again through out the day. Some people got really angry and others seemed quiet and scared; no one could believe or understand why something like this would happen. I felt like I was in a daze--it all seemed unreal, yet, I felt very unsafe, vulnerable, and violated. Everything felt different and we spent a lot of time watching the news. When the footage of the Pentagon crash came on a while later it just added to the confusion. So many innocent people were dying and there was no justification or provocation. When I got home that afternoon I remember feeling like I was living in a movie about the end of the world. I looked out my bedroom window and the streets were empty. A plane flew overhead and I felt very scared. I thought they had closed down the skies and seeing that plane made me afraid that something was going to happen to me and my family. Everything was so still in my neighborhood, yet I knew that elsewhere people were dying and suffering. It was like the calm before the storm--tense with anticipation and fear of what was to come. I don't think I will ever forget the sense of foreboding I felt during that day and for a while after. Knowing the feelings that I had during that time makes me even more in awe of the men and women who chose to serve our country during and after that time. They went in knowing we are living in a time of war yet their sense of duty to their country and fellow man couldn't be denied. I am so thankful to all of our service men and women who fight to defend our lives, family and freedom. Their selfless service is a blessing I could never fully express my gratitude for. I am thinkful especially for Travis-one of those men who chose to join the military in the middle of a war. You defend us now and try to make the world a better place. You are my hero.

3 comments:
Thanks for sharing your feelings. It is so important what we remember times like these and also acknowledge those who do sacrifice to fight for our freedom. Thank you to Travis and to you Nicole for your great sacrifice!!
Can we borrow Travis as our Hero too? Honestly we feel that same way about him and his service! And for you, Nicole and your sacrifice right now at this time!
Thank you so much Travis for serving our country and making us all feel safer at home. It takes a brave person to be in both of your places!
Post a Comment