Sunday, October 12, 2008

Enjoying Minneapolis

This weekend I went to Lake Calhoun and walked around. I was trying to get a good picture of Minneapolis from across the lake and wanted to get outside before it starts to get too cold. We have had the most wonderful fall weather and there's tons of color in the trees right now. It was my first time at Lake Calhoun and I really enjoyed myself. I try and experience new parts of Minneapolis whenever I can because I think that this city, and surrounding area, have so much to offer. I especially love the park systems that the state and Twin Cities area counties maintain. I think it's so great how Minnesotans love the outdoors. I read on MSN that Minneapolis/St. Paul ranks in the top 15 healthiest cities to live in the US. There are so many places to go and things to do outside here in the Twin Cities area and a lot of them are full of history and culture. I love the rich diversity of city life and rural living that you can find in Minneapolis. I mean, seriously, this lake, with numerous playgrounds, beaches and a 3 mile biking/walking path around it isn't even outside the Minneapolis city limits. You wouldn't have to travel more than 5 miles to get to the theater district downtown. You only have to travel about 1/2 a mile to get to great restaurants and entertainment. I'll admit that around February it seems that Minnesota has a never ending winter, but I think it's drives the people who live here to cherish the nice weather once it finally comes. It's so much a way of life that things like well maintained public park systems have become a priority. I think it's a great place to live.


These are a few of the pictures I took around the lake. I know I've already said it, but I have to say it again- I had such a good time walking around. I like to people watch and there was a huge variety to choose from that day. Of course, most of the people there were exercising in some way, which I love. Some things I saw were super skinny middle aged ladies that you can tell run way to much and a hippie guy with long blond ratty hair riding a bike in flip flops, wearing a tank top and shorts that were so short I think it might have been a speedo. Oh yeah, and the shorts had large sunflowers on them....less than 5 minutes later I saw the same guy laying next to the shore with his shirt off and shorts hiked up (and not around his waist) trying to get a tan. Umm hummm. I also saw couples out for a stroll holding hands, groups of ladies out walking for exercise and good conversation, guys playing volleyball, and tons of people walking or running with their dogs. They had lots of benches around the lake so people could sit and enjoy the view if they were so inclined. I think it was very worth the drive and a place that I hope to visit often.

I brought Ruby along with me to enjoy the nice weather and get some exercise. She was about at overload with all of the new smells, tons of people around, and me making her walk at a fairly brisk pace. Every time I stopped to take a picture she would lay down in the wet sand to cool off. She did really well except for when people would come by on roller blades or with strollers. She doesn't like the fast moving things very much. She's also a little timid around larger dogs, I think because their bark can be so loud and intimidating. We'll have to go on more outings like this so everything isn't quite so scary.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Andie said...

Lake Calhoun is the best! We've spent so many date nights down there. Whenever we have friends/family in from out of town we encourage them to go to The Lakes first, before MOA (which is where they always want to go), as we think it captures the real essence of Minneapolis better than the mall does.

Maybe the weather will hold out and your sweetie will be home in time for you guys to go down there together. Yay! :D

Andie said...

PS I also like the story of the guy with the sunflower speedo. It reminds me of the guy I once saw at Lake George who had a leopard print Speedo. I'm pretty sure he thought he was Fabio. Doesn't it make you wonder what some people are thinking?!

Kristen said...

Great pics. I bet Ruby loved the walk around the lake with tons of stuff to look at and smell. It was a beautiful day for it!

Anne said...

Lake Calhoun and the Uptown area are among my favorites as well. Next time you'll have to bring roller blades (sans Ruby, apparently) and hit Lake of teh Isles and...what's the other one right there? At any rate. You can get around all three of the lakes there. So fun. Then go for fries and a shake at Annie's over on Lake. Ahhh. such good memories!

shantel said...

Mike and I really need to go there I've heard so much about it! Your right I really cherish the nice weather when we have it!!!

The Seaman Family said...

You got some great pics Nicole. I have been meaning to get out and do that but haven't had much luck. So I am enjoying everyone elses. I haven't been to Lake Calhoun in years I need to go again. Glad you enjoyed your walk!

Janice Anderson said...

That really takes this old gal back! I grew up in Mpls and would go from North Mpls by bus with my sister and brother to swim and play at Lake Calhoun. You remind me of how beautiful our City of Lakes is. The city grows around it, while Lake Calhoun remains a unique phenomenon for those of us fortunate enough to live nearby. You're inspiring me to take Bob and visit while the weather is still warm enough for a walk and some people-watching.