Monday, October 6, 2008

Inspired thoughts

This weekend at conference I found out I have something in common with the Prophet, President Monson. We both have a love of musicals. At this current point in my life I haven't been labeled a "show-a-holic" as he has, but I can see myself acquiring a nickname like that at some point in my life. I love musicals because of the good entertainment, professionalism, and amazing talent. I am always awed by the performers; they have the most beautiful voices. There hasn't been a show I've gone to where I haven't gotten chills at least once.

Just this past week I went to the Guthrie to see Little House on the Prairie. It was a great new musical that I hadn't heard about until my bro in law Mike Brown got tickets and asked if I wanted to go. Unlike a lot of movies I have seen that left something to be desired, I have never regretted going to a play. Little House was no exception. I had such a good time I sat there with a stupid looking grin on my face the entire show.

Now, moving on to more weighty things. Pres. Monson's talk during the Sunday morning session of conference really touched my heart. He spoke of living in the present and cherishing those we love while we have them. I have never been a lovey person; in fact, I have a really hard time showing affection towards people. I have this great fear of rejection and to keep myself from getting hurt I avoid putting myself out there. Since Travis has been gone I have really had to do some soul searching to come to terms with being alone. One of the things I have realized in the past year is that I have taken for granted all of the blessings and love Travis brings to my life. I realized it's not that I didn't appreciate him, cause in my mind I was really thankful for all that he gave me, but that I needed to start telling and showing my appreciation and love. I have learned that I need to put my fears aside and learn to show my love to others, having faith that the relationships I build will bless my life. Pres. Monson gave a lot of great quotes in his talk, the one that I really love was from William Shakespeare: "They do not love that do not show their love." I'm so grateful for prophet who speaks such inspired words and for the desire I have to become the best person I can. It feels good to know that I have been inspired to make changes in my life that keep myself in line with what the prophet says is important.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for the insight and for sharing some of your thoughts.

Andie said...

I loved the prophet's talk too. It made me pack up my kids and spend the afternoon at the park. I figured, the housework will be there later... (it always is).

shantel said...

What a great post Nicole! I love hearing the prophet.

Travis said...

So I can't say we had the chance to view conference but I did think your post was swell. I am glad you are still in touch with the spirit!