
I have found that I really enjoy making things to decorate my house with. This weekend I made a table runner for the fall decorations I have on my table. I have looked around at a lot of stores and couldn't find anything pre-made that I liked and most of the stuff is too long for my small table. The other problem I run into a lot is that the things at the store are so trendy that I know up front that I wont want to use them next year. It's hard to find classic pieces. So, I decided to go to JoAnn's and find some fall fabric that I liked and sew myself one. I love the fact that I could customize it however I want and because of that it flows with my other decorations very nicely. Travis' mom and grandma helped me again, but I am slowly starting to do more and more on my own. I love how it turned out and I love looking at my table even more.

It feels really good to know that it's more than something I picked up at the store. Don't get me wrong, I do plenty of that too, but it makes my home feel a little homier when I can look around and see things that I am proud of accomplishing. I like the sentimental value factor. It's hard work to decorate a new home cohesively; especially when it's your first and you don't have much to start out with. I am slowly, but surely, making it into a place I love to be and that I'm proud to call my own. I guess now that I think about it, I have always been a homemaker. You can ask my mom...she'll tell you how I begged her to learn how to do laundry when I was 7. At first she told me no, I didn't need to do my own laundry, but I kept asking and she gave in. Yeah, I admit I was a little strange. I'm glad I learned the skills I did when I was younger. They are so second nature to me now that I can move on to learning new things-like sewing. It feels good to go from nothing to something and know that you have put work into it.
10 comments:
I definitely think there is something satisfying about making something yourself. Doesn't it feel nurturing?
Nicole, you are no weirdo! I've been doing my own laundry since 3rd or 4th grade, too! Ask anyone, I'm a little OCD about the laundry getting done a certain way ... in a way I find it therapeutic.
It is very pretty and classic looking. I would love to sit and look at it too. I haven't even opened my tub of Fall decorations. ugh!!!
That is really pretty Nicole. Way to go! I think you'll enjoy it for years to come!
Sorry I hit the post button twice I guess. So I deleted one!
I agree with you, the things that I or my children have made in my house are the things I like the best!! Now if I could just get the sewing thing down....
Your table runner looks really good. I really like the fabrics you picked. I think it is great when you make something yourself because most likely no one else will have it in their home.
That is awsome Nicole! I think you need to come out here so we can craft together.
I love the decorations you put on the table runner. It's a very classy ensemble! Happy Halloween & fall.
Post a Comment