Travis has been sending home boxes of stuff that he doesn't need any longer in preparation for coming home. Being the lucky recipient, I get to try and find ways to get the heavy boxes into my house and then go through them. I can't believe how bad all of the stuff smells and how dirty everything is. Ruby didn't know what to think about it all and she had to sniff everything to check it out. There's not really a good way to describe the smell, it's dirty, musty, sweaty, and a bunch of other things all at the same time. The clothes smelled the worst by far so, just to make sure, I had to ask Travis if he's been doing laundry since he's been gone. He assured me that he has and went on to explain that the whole country smells nasty-there's no way to avoid it. I suppose that would explain why even the books he sent home reeked. Everything also had a nice layer of dust on it. I had to wipe down all of the books before I could do anything with them. I know it's a small glimpse into what it is like actually being there, but I don't think I could take all of the smelly, dirty stuff. From what Travis has told me, everything they have is covered in and sand. When the sandstorms come it gets even worse. The sand blows through their clothes and buildings and there is no escaping it. I can't even imagine living in circumstances like that. Hopefully Travis can get used to being clean again and the smell wears off quickly.
Saturday, October 4, 2008
What's that smell?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I KNOW THAT SMELL!!!!!!!!!
It does going away, I promise:)
I guess reading this post makes all us realize how lucky we are to not only live in the United States but even more so in Minnesota with the clean fresh smells of the seasons turning! Thanks for coming over last night, I never said I was quiet when it comes to watching an action packed movie!;-)
Hopefully by the time you see Travis the smell wears off him :) (not that you would care I'm sure!)It has to be exciting though knowing first his belongings are coming and next him!
OK well I know I told you I wouldn't send anymore but I lied. There is one more on the way and I made sure it was extra smelly for Ruby. Talk to you later-
Post a Comment