Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Brand new vet

Since today is Veteran's day and I finally got my computer back from Best Buy (3 viruses in 2 years...don't ask) I thought I would finally blog about Travis, my fabulous husband who just returned from service in Iraq--the giant sandbox as he's nicknamed it. He spent his time there at a small base in Trebil but worked in cities all over Al Anbar Province. When I asked him if there was anything worth remembering from his experience his answer was, "No, I'm trying to forget it all." I'm not one to pry so I'll do without the unpleasant details and just cherish the fact that he made it home without incident. He did let me see the pictures he took so I got some of them to write about.



The guys get pretty good deals on lots of high end gear. He got a pair of Oakleys that he loves.


This was their daily scenery--wide open desert. They spent a lot of time driving since their base was really remote. The nearest city was 70 miles away and they could only drive 45 miles an hour in their HUMVEE. Talk about miserable!

They also had to stand post on base to make sure everything remained secure. The gear they had to wear was really heavy; the armor in the vest weighs somewhere near 90 pounds. I'm sure it wasn't the most pleasant thing to be wearing when it's 130 degrees but when it's saved your life numerous times I'm guessing it's not so bad.

These are the arches that mark the entrance and exit to Iraq. I was impressed with how nice they are seeing how once you're past them you don't come to a city for almost 100 miles.

Here's a funny one-they would freeze water bottles and use them as "coolers". I think it's ridiculous that he took this picture; he's pretty proud of the ingenuity. He claims it felt amazing...I didn't ask for more details.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Andie said...

Hmmm, when I saw the title of your post I thought, "Why is she blogging about Ruby's new doctor? Where's the post about Travis' homecoming?" :D

Cool pictures; that last one is interesting...

Travis said...

Where did you get those pictures from? I was pretty sure I locked them up! Good thinking on the last one though, that husband of yours is pretty resourceful:-)

Anne said...

Thanks for the update! We here in the Neu house adore Travis and are glad that he is back safe and sound. We are also grateful for the lack of details concerning that last photo...yikes!

Fran said...

So are you officially a hacker?! I'm glad you were able to share some of these pictures and explain them too. Now that Travis is home enjoy your new time together! Thank you for graciously handling the separation you two endured.

Audrey said...

Nicole, I'm so glad that you finally got him home and I must say, I think you have been smiling a bit more lately!

p.s. if you start finding water bottles in your freezer, might I suggest you sew up the flys in all of his pants?

shantel said...

I'm glad Travis is home safe and sound!!!

Tawnya said...

Wooowhooo, All I have to say is Marines are hot!!!! Semper FI!

Kristen said...

Benjy wants me to tell you that he loves the last picture and is putting a couple of water bottles in the freezer! LOL ...love it!