Friday, November 28, 2008

Nauvoo Trip

Last weekend Travis and I went down to Nauvoo. We have both been numerous times before so the main purpose of this trip was to go to the Nauvoo Temple. We had a really great time and the weather wasn't too cold. The day we left happened to be Ruby's first birthday. It's the first long trip we've taken her on and the first time she's stayed in a hotel. Surprisingly, she seemed to think it was pretty fun.


The city of Nauvoo has a spirit unlike any place else. Going there and learning about how the early Saints lived and what they endured burns into my heart the truthfulness of the Gospel. It happens every time I visit. There is no denying what they sacrificed and how it has affected the way we live today. They knew Jesus Christ lived and sacraficed everything they had to build up the Lord's church.

Travis was the driver and navigator on the trip. Seeing all of the sights in Nauvoo could easily take a week and we were only spending a day so we just chose a few spots we wanted to see. The Browning gunsmith was on the top of the list. It's cool that this early Saint, Jonathan Browning, is the founder of the Browning guns we still use today.
Just before we left on Saturday we did a session at the temple. Both Travis and I have been before to do Baptisms so we were really excited about doing Endowments. Inside was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I sat there with my mouth hanging open in awe for most of the 2 hours. I feel so blessed to have a temple close to home but it's amazing to go to the larger temples and see how unique and special they are. To look at this building and think that something similar was built in the 1800s is miraculous.

6 comments:

Angie said...

What a fun trip! It's so nice to see you and Travis together again!

Anne said...

It is so fun that you are making such good use of your time together again! And I agree, you can't go to Nauvoo without feeling that it is a sacred place.

The Seaman Family said...

How fun! Glad you two were able to get away for a little while and that you were able to go to such an amzing place. I really want to go soon to see the temple. Just like you have said: I have heard it's amazing there!

Andie said...

I love Nauvoo too, too bad you guys could only stay for one day. We've made it a habit to go there when the kids have off of school over spring break; not too crowded and usually 15-20 degrees warmer than Minnesota!

The Browning gun shop is a favorite for my boys, too!

shantel said...

It is my goal to go to Nauvoo in 2009!!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Janice Anderson said...

One of our favorite places too. No place on earth compares. You can almost feel what it was like to have lived near Joseph and Emma in those exciting and dangerous times. Plus, the country is so beautiful. Glad you got the time together to attend the rebuilt temple.