Sunday, November 30, 2008

What a welcome

Growing up my family took a lot of road trips. Moving from Oregon to Oklahoma to Minnesota and lots of vacations in between gave me a chance to see many "Welcome to..." state signs. I really enjoy seeing what each state sign looks like and what they feel is important to tell you about the state as you drive into it. Some of them are quite funny and others cause me to shake my head in wonder. I looked over a map and made a list of all the states I have seen the welcome sign in. They are: WA, OR, CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, KS, MO, IA, SD, ND, MT, ID, CO, WI, IL, IN, OH, PA, MD, NE, and of course Minnesota. Well, in my opinion, which I don't claim to be expertise, I have deemed Minnesota's as the most fabulous welcome sign ever. It looks so classy and nice-like we actually invested some money into presenting our state. I actually enjoy our sign so much that I have to make a comment about in every time we go by. It probably drives Travis nuts, but I am just so impressed by how nice and, go figure, welcoming it looks. It's one of many reasons I'm proud to be a Minnesotan.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

shantel said...

Man you have been to a lot of states!! You are totally right about our Welcome sign , I must say I noticed that too when we first arrived in MN. I hope you are having a great time so far, tell everybody I said HELLO!!!

Fran said...

Yeah, the Minnesota shape helps a lot. It has a lot more character compared to IA, ND or SD.
BTW..I love the snow globe on your site and love to make it snow!! Hope you are having a great time and not even thinking about snow!!

memories by Jan said...

Loved your post. I'm going to have to do that - make a list of how many welcome signs I've seen. The funniest is the welcome sign to Wendover, Nevada (not a state sign, I know) but someone had changed the W to a B and it stayed that way for years!