Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Going Batty

Welcome to story time! The story begins last night around 10:30 when I was feeding Ethan in the living room. The house was quite since Travis and Ruby had already gone to bed and I heard a noise in my pantry. It sounded like something hit my garbage can and knocked something over. With Ethan in my arms I got up and went to check it out. It's really warm in our pantry because it's near the fireplace so I thought maybe it was an empty milk jug expanding in the recycle or something. Well, I turned on the light and walked in without a second thought and all of the sudden a bat flew at my head. Yeah a bat! I screamed the most terrified, blood curdling scream that's ever come out of my mouth and dropped down to the floor as it flew toward the living room.

I listened to see if Travis was getting up to see why I screamed but to my disbelief he slept through it! So I frantically called his name and told him there was another bat (I'll explain the another part in a minute). He came out of the bedroom asking me where it was and as he did he must have startled it because it came flying back at me. I ran down to the basement with Ethan and Ruby (who just as scared as I was) and was trying to get the creepy, skin crawling feeling to go away. Upstairs there was a lot of banging and pounding and I couldn't help picturing scenes from Black Sheep. Ethan was screaming because he was still hungry but there was no way I was making myself comfortable again while there was a bat in the house.

Travis came down and said I might as well come back up because the bat flew into our room and he couldn't find it so he was just going to leave it for the night. WHAT!?!? It was in our room and he wasn't going to get it? The skin crawling, creepy feeling came back when he told me he was just going to keep the door closed and sleep in the basement. I think bats are so disgusting I felt sick at the thought of sleeping in the house while that thing was flying around. Then, to make matters worse he got a towel and rolled it up on the floor in front of the door. I asked him why he did that (big mistake) and he said because they can crawl. That put me over the edge and I started to shake a little from fear and anxiety.

I tossed and turned all night long and felt like things were crawling all over me. At one point Travis accidentally brushed my hand with his and I almost flipped my lid. When morning came he got up and scoped out the scene-the bat was sitting on top of our curtain rod. He startled it and it flew out and landed on the carpet in the living room where he trapped it under a mixing bowl.

Ok, now for my mention of this being the second bat. Last month, a day or so after we had brought Ethan home, we had a bat come flying through our living room one evening. I freaked out and ran into another room. Travis trapped that one in a mixing bowl as well and let it go outside. He figured that this might be the same bat coming back a second time so he killed it. I'm praying that this is what happened because I can't take this any more. The first time I thought it was just a fluke that some how a bat got into the house but this second incident has me a little paranoid. I haven't been able to go into the pantry with out getting that creepy feeling back. I've had enough of this country living; I want the city back! Sorry, that was a little long but talking about it is the first step to recovery, right??

6 comments:

BreezyHess said...

Okay so that was awesome in a really creepy way. I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. I would be so mad if I had bats in my house.

Kristen said...

OH, NIcole... oh my. We have two extra beds if you need a good nights rest...really! OH...I am still feeling that creepy feeling just from reading your post. I have to say I was laughing picturing you downstairs. You don't freak out, so I am sure it really creeped you out!

Tawnya said...

This was so funny! I am sorry you had to go through that but I was rolling when I read this :)

Linz said...

UGGGGGGGGGHHHH! Reminds me of my cockroach and lizard stories living in Texas, but somehow something flying at you seems much worse.

Brandee Dawn said...

I guess this is a sign ... you gave birth to the next Batman Nicole!! You need to embrace it.

The Seaman Family said...

Oh my gosh, I would have had to leave. Ugh, that's so gross. I don't know what I would have done.