Wednesday, February 23, 2011

mawidge...mawidge

(pic)
Who doesn't know that Princess Bride quote? Ridiculous, yet so true...Mawidge, the bwessed awwangement, that dweam wiffim a dweam...

I've been thinking about marriage a lot lately. It's been brought on by the sudden boom of songs about marriage on the radio. We've got Train's Marry Me, Bruno Mars' Marry You, and Colbie Caillat's new single I Do. They have me thinking about what it means to be married.

I was talking to a lady while I got my hair done last week about marriage. She was telling me that her boyfriend doesn't think there's any difference between the boyfriend/girlfriend stage and marriage. She disagreed with him, and I told her I agreed with her. There's something different about actually being married. I know our society widely accepts living together as being committed to your significant other, so what is it about actually being married that changes things? Especially when it's so easy to get divorced.

In my mind, choosing to marry Travis was the ultimate show of love, dedication, and commitment. Our relationship may not have been different the second the marriage license was official, but I think it's allowed our relationship to grow into something that's far beyond what it could have otherwise. The opportunity to try and be your best with someone at your side is one of the greatest gifts I feel we have in life. Being married has helped me become a better person than I ever could have become on my own.

I'm glad that marriage is something contemporary musicians suddenly feel the need to sing about. It seems to have fallen by the wayside and I'm glad it's being brought back into view. And, besides, I'll take sappy love songs over Ke$ha's binge drinking glamorization any day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, all I can say is...I agree.

Tawnya said...

You and Travis make a fantastic couple! I couldn't think of anyone I would rather have as my sister-in-law. Thanks for picking Travis :)

memories by Jan said...

I'm SO glad you and Travis are happy. Old married people like me love to watch others take the same path;)

memories by Jan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam Eyler said...

Young Love. So innocent and sweet! I sure do enjoy you both and am glad you decided on Marriage as well. The only other option for you would have been death at the hands of your FATHER. I can only let your "agency" take you so far you know. Seriously, thanks for the sweet message Nic. Love ya. Dad