Tuesday, April 5, 2011

restraint

Ethan's got a monkey on his back
 (although you can't see it very well in the picture)

Ethan and I tagged along with Travis' mom and sister for a trip downtown to see the flower show going on at Macy's. As I was preparing for the trip I was debating over whether I should bring the stroller. It's much more convenient for me but Ethan really doesn't like sitting in it. He spends most of the time either shrieking or trying to get out of it. On the flip side, I knew it would be rather crowded and there would be lots of tempting stuff to touch, so I was weary of trying to have him hold my hand the whole time. He's rather independent and not the best hand holder. He likes to feel free and in control, and I don't blame him. So, I decided to make use of a little monkey backpack/child harness a very wise lady gave me at my baby shower. (Thanks, Linda!)

It was amazing! Ethan really enjoyed not feeling trapped in a stroller or like I was yanking on his arm the whole time. He actually held my hand a lot of the time anyway, but when he wasn't, I didn't have to worry about him getting away from me. An added plus is that letting him walk around the whole time meant he was nice and tired for his nap that afternoon. We also got rave reviews from ladies who saw him and thought his backpack was so cute. When they realized it was keeping him close to me at the same time they thought it was genius. I think three or four people asked me where I got it.

So, if you can't tell, I'm all for using it. I thought Ethan felt liberated from the stroller and I was happy to not have him whining the entire time. Travis on the other hand, thinks this is some form of child abuse and that Ethan's going to grow up resenting us for making him wear a leash. I think he's just not putting enough thought into the situation, but I thought I'd see what other people's opinions are.
To harness or not to harness, that is the question.

6 comments:

Larry said...

I am all for it.!!! -Nancy

Linda said...

So glad it worked for you! My girls love them with their little boys...the best part is you can enjoy the outing with no little lost boy, which is always a mother's worst fear! I think Ethan will grow up just fine!!!!

Fran said...

It was a wonderful outing and Ethan didn't even know he had a monkey on his back. He was able to explore to his hearts' content! We should do more of these with the harness.

Tawnya said...

BEST IDEA EVER!!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally harness Chloe! It's so nice to keep her safe, but, like you said, give her independence.

Shanna said...

I think they are great! I never lost a child when we were out and not one of them resent me now for using them when they were younger. They give both the mother and the child freedom!