Tuesday, May 24, 2011

too much of a good thing

I really thought cupboard locks were supposed to deter children for more than a few months.
I also think Ethan may have received a deadly combination of mine and Travis' good genes.

I am so amazed at how smart this boy is. I don't give him enough credit, and I probably don't give him enough mental stimulation (guilty mom moment...) He's so inquisitive and loves to figure out how things work. He gets that from his dad. He's slightly obsessed with getting stuff out of cupboards and, so naturally, the ones that are locked are of even bigger concern. He tried to open them all the time but when they didn't open all the way he lost interest. That is until one day a few weeks ago when he must have been more bored than usual.

He pulled the door open the inch or so that it allowed, saw the white thing and stood there until he had figured out how it worked. It took him maybe 5 minutes and he could get the door open with one hand.

He knows how to do so many things, I'm just baffled. One day I pulled the vacuum out of the cupboard and left it sitting in the living room for a minute while I picked up some toys. He walked over pulled the cord out and then pushed the button to wind it back up. On the first try. Just like that. The vacuum is rarely out long enough for him to play with it so I know it's not something someone specifically showed him how to do. He just has a knack for figuring things out. I find it a little intimidating because I have no idea how to help stimulate and foster this in him. I'm more of a structured learning girl so this hands on stuff is a little out of my comfort zone. If any of you mom's have ideas for how I can help keep him active and engaged in learning new things I'd love some tips.

3 comments:

Tawnya said...

I just love his little mouth wide open while he figures that out. He is a very smart boy. I still can't figure out how he got my applications to pop up and hide when not in use. I love it! I would say you need to take him to the Children's Museum. Or just let him play and explore anywhere and everywhere. Kids are like sponges. They just soak everything up.

Enjoy!!! Baby E is my little Einstein.

Anonymous said...

The Toddler's Busy Book is my new best friend. I think you would like it too.

shantel said...

He is a smart little cookie!!

I am in whole new world with this boy thing too!!